Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Car-Free Street - Ward's Island

I thought I would show you a pic of a typical street on Ward's Island so that you can see the environment of the houses which I will show for the next couple of days - this is the road, not a sidewalk. The Toronto Island is the largest urban car-free community in North America although there are service vehicles such as fire trucks on the Island. Hiding behind all these trees and bushes are the approximately 250 remaining homes making up this vibrant neighbourhood. 

12 comments:

Paul in Powell River said...

Car-free sounds good to me - I've never owned one!

Anonymous said...

A car free road, perfect!

EG CameraGirl said...

The idea of no cars on the island sounds quite appealing.

LĂșcia said...

What a wonderful (and silent) place to live! ;-)

Halcyon said...

It must be fun to live there in the summer - not sure about the winter though! :)

Lowell said...

This is wonderful! But for most of us, it's fairy-tale land. Everything is so spread out here we have to drive to get to any store of any type.

But I can dream, right? I wonder if they allow golf carts on that road?

Deb said...

Oh I like the sound of that, Sark, Venice and now Ward's Island to add to the traffic free destinations!

Randy said...

Looks more like a private driveway.

Sharon said...

Makes me want to keep walking to see what's down the road.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

How wonderful, no petrol fumes AND that sometimes much needed incentive to do a bit more walking to get from A to B!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I'm really looking forward to learning more about this wonderful spot.

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

How really, really wonderful