Friday, August 24, 2012

Skewed Image

This is one of 17 large production plasters by Toronto artist Evan Penny that are currently installed along a hallway at the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario).  Penny sculpts the original pieces in clay and then makes a mold before casting these plaster forms to keep as a record of the works. This piece is quite large as you can see from the size of the light switch just below the figure. I have shown a few of Penny's works before and this one typifies his statement - "I try to situate my sculpture somewhere between the way we perceive each other in real time and space, and the way we perceive ourselves and each other in an image". I quite like his work!
Click on the Penny label below to see more.

13 comments:

Paul in Powell River said...

I'm undecided, or maybe ambivalent is a better word. If I saw it "in real time and space" I might be more positive.

Unknown said...

What a great idea wonderfully accomplished!

Lowell said...

Wow, I knew my eyes were not as good as they used to be, but I can't see this very clearly at all!

Just like when I look in the mirror in the morning and see this old guy staring back at me. Who IS that I wonder!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'd really like to know what's going through his mind when he does each sculpture. I think I know what he's getting at, but I'm not sure. I'm going to Google him. :))

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

Oh I agree, I really do like his work. Really love the Hart House piece

LĂșcia said...

I'm not sure if I like it, I feel a little bit dizzy, but it really catches the attention! ;-)

roentare said...

Initially I thought there was a severe lens blurr. Then it was really just the sculpture!

Deb said...

Impressive size but not sure about the finished product. Would like to see the real thing.

Jack said...

Hi, RedPat. I saw that you had an Evan Penny sculpture and I had to visit. He is amazing. When I worked in Columbus, I was involved with the Columbus Museum of Art, whic had a major Penny exhibition. He had some amazing silicone heads that were frighteningly lifelike, down to human hair patiently inserted hair by hair. Fascinating sculptor.

Anonymous said...

Makes me feel a little giddy!

Birdman said...

Earthquake!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

A very original approach Pat, methinks it's one of those sculptures you either love or not so much!

Alan said...

I'm with LĂșcia, I feel dizzy!